Custody and Visitation Modification Lawyer

Post-Decree Modifications

When children are involved in a divorce, the relationship between spouses is never completely over. Whether you want to or not, you will have to set your issues aside to do what is in your child’s best interests. However, if your life undergoes significant change, you may need a lawyer to help you pursue modifications to your existing divorce decree.

Are you thinking about moving a child or seeking to modify child support in West Texas? For answers to your questions about post-decree modifications, call for a consultation with the Law Office of Kristina Voorhies Legan.

Is Your Case Situation Eligible for Modification?

There are three basic types of issues where modification is commonly sought out: custody, visitation and support. In all three, the standard is determining whether a significant material change has taken place in the situation.

Custody Modification, and Visitation Modification

While many mistakenly believe otherwise, children no longer reach a certain age where they can then choose which parent to live with. For custody modification to take place, a judge will consider all of the issues present and decide whether a modification of a custody agreement represents the best interests of a child. If a parent is seeking to relocate with a child, it often leads to a protracted court battle unless one parent is willing to sign off on the move.

Child Support Modification

Determining whether child support should, or can, be modified will come down to crunching the numbers. Issues such as a job loss, new job or hidden earnings can trigger modification. Modification can be sought by the parent receiving or paying child support.

Contact an El Paso Divorce Modification Attorney

Does your divorce decree no longer reflect the situation you and your child face? Contact the Law Office of Kristina Voorhies Legan today to arrange a consultation. Se habla espa├▒ol.